The ESSE Institute was founded in 1987 in Copenhagen, Denmark. It is part of a worldwide network of non-profit Institutes. The name “ESSE” is an abbreviation of “European Sathya Sai Education” and is also the Latin word for “to be”.
Throughout the years ESSE has been conducting value-based seminars for teachers, parents and educators, as well as others interested in bringing the universal human values into their professions and personal lives.
The main focus has been on training teachers and educators, but value-based management seminars have been introduced as well, to respond to the demand of professionals and companies in the areas of business, medicine, and the social and environmental sectors.
As part of the ESSE Institute, teachers and trainers of SSEHV form a network throughout the European countries to share experiences in the areas of practice, methodology and research.
Aims and Objectives
ESSE in Latin means ‘to be’ which describes symbolically the aim of this unique programme. This matches perfectly the new focus in education promoted in the UNESCO Report by Delors (see under Philosophy).
Main aims of the ESSE Institute are:
- to develop a deeper understanding of the Universal Human Values Truth, Right Conduct, Love, Peace and Nonviolence as guiding principles to a harmonious development of personal and social life;
- to initiate a learning process that transforms man and inspires to live a life based on the spiritual principle of the Universal Human Values;
- to support the participants in their efforts to implement the human values successfully in education as well as all in aspects of life;
- to inspire the participant
- to become aware of his/her true identity within and to further the ability to act from this level of consciousness;
- to apply to his/her own daily life Universal Love and Excellence and thereby to fill his/her life with harmony and lasting happiness.
To promote and implement programmes in Sathya Sai Education in Human Values. This is done through formal, non-formal and informal education based on the universal aspects of European Culture. These programmes are for children and adults from all walks of life.
To ensure this objective, the ESSE Institute offers a Standardized Training Programme
- for professional teachers/educators within the formal educational system
- for professions outside the formal educational system
- for adults, families and youth
See the Programme page.
- To ensure the authenticity of the SSEHV Programme based on the philosophy of Sathya Sai Educare and the pedagogy of Integral Education.